#24 Aaron Nesmith
Hometown Charleston, S.C.
High School Porter Gaud
- Signed with the Commodores in the early signing period
- Played in all 32 games a true freshman and made 19 starts
- Posted a stellar career at Porter Gaud High School in Charleston, S.C., where he was named the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior while leading his Porter Gaud teams to three straight South Carolina state titles and scoring 2,000 career points
- Second in the nation in 3’s made per game (4.38, as of Dec. 11), and leads the SEC in 3’s per game, 3-point field goal percentage (.515) and scoring (22.8). He is 7th nationally in points per game. Nesmith is also ranked in the top 10 in the SEC in field goal percentage (7th, .525)
- Tallied a career-high 34 points in an overtime loss at Richmond on Nov. 14. It was the most points by a Vanderbilt player since Shan Foster vs. Miss. State (3/5/08), and the most points by a Vanderbilt player on the road since Billy McCaffrey at Georgia (35, 2/24/93).
- It was announced before the Texas A&M game that Vanderbilt’s leading scorer Aaron Nesmith would be out indefinitely with a right foot injury. Prior to the injury, Nesmith led the SEC in scoring with 23.0 points per game and was fifth nationally. He also led the SEC and nation in 3FG/game with 4.29 and 3FG% at .522. He had also made an SEC-best 60 threes this season through 14 games. He also ranked eighth in free-throw percentage (.825) and field-goal percentage (.512) prior to his injury.
- Played in all 32 games and made 19 starts. Averaged 11.0 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in all games
- Led Commodores in scoring in SEC games only with 13.5 points per game
- Named to SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll
- Scored 20 or more points in four SEC games as a true freshman and tallied double figures in 14 total games.
- His 5.5 rebounds per game tied for the eighth-most by a Vanderbilt freshman in a single season (Kevin Bright, 2013)
- Set new career highs in points at Florida (26); also was career-best 12-15 from the free throw line
- Scored 24 points and had career highs in field goals made (9) and minutes (42) against Tennessee
- Tallied 23 points against South Carolina; also made career-best five threes
- Posted 24 points and career-high 14 rebounds against Auburn
- Posted 20 points and then-career-high 13 rebounds in win over Savannah State
- Scored 10 points, four rebounds, and four assists in win at USC
Prior to Vanderbilt:
- Nesmith is one of the class of 2018’s top shooters.
- Averaged 21 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game as as senior.
- Scored 2,067 career points and was named Most Outstanding Player at both the Chick-fil-A Classic, where he made nine three pointers, and the Rotary Roundball holiday tournament.
- Also a three-time South Carolina Independent School Association 3A Player of the Year.
- Three-time honoree as All-Lowcountry player of the year by the Charleston Post and Courier.
- Aaron Joshua Nesmith.
- October 16, 1999.
- Son of Benard and Erine Nesmith.
- Has one brother, Eddie, who attends Harvard.
- Major is Human and Organizational Development.
- Advice to young people: “Always work hard and give that little extra effort when your peers are not.”