Larry Schmittou is a winner and he figured out how to be successful whether he was coaching Nashville sandlot teams or leading Vanderbilt baseball to Southeastern Conference championships. During a time when Commodore baseball had few tangible resources, Schmittou’s eye for spotting talent and his ability to develop a winning team made him a legend in Music City. Few coaches have ever enjoyed as much alumni respect and appreciation.
- Earned two degrees from Peabody College
- Hired as VU’s head baseball coach and football’s head recruiter, 1968.
- Led VU to four consecutive Eastern Division Championships, 1971-1974.
- 1973 and 1974 teams won the SEC Championship
- SEC Baseball Coach of the Year, 1973-74
- 1973 team ranked eighth in the nation.
- Coached 20 All-SEC players while 14 were taken in the major league drafts.
- Team set SEC record for wins in a season (37), 1974
- Teams had a record of 306-252-1 (.548) overall.
- Member of NCAA Baseball Committee
- Sporting News Double-A and Southern League Executive of the Year, 1978.
- Iconic baseball figure in Nashville and well known beyond.