Commodores Conclude Opening Day of Commodore Classic Undefeated
NASHVILLE- The Vanderbilt men’s tennis team battled against Belmont in singles play Friday afternoon, kicking off the spring season with victories on all nine courts.
Earning strong debuts as Commodores, freshmen Macsen Sisam and Christiaan Worst dominated the courts to earn their first collegiate victories.
Worst took on Belmont sophomore David Faulkner opening the match strong with a swift 6-2 defeat in the first set. Maintaining momentum, the freshman wrapped up the match dominating Faulkner in the second set, 6-1.
Keeping up success for the new Dores, Sisam took the court against sophomore Bruin Jake Briggs. Sisam earned a strong win, defeating Briggs in a straight-set win, 6-3, 6-2.
Assistant coach Ryan Lipman was very impressed with the new Commodore additions and their contribution to the team on Friday.
“I couldn’t be prouder of how Macsen and Christiaan competed today in their first collegiate tennis matches. They showed a lot of ability and we are thrilled they are a part of our Vanderbilt family. On top of that, they produced two solid wins to start which is always a great way to get the season going,” said Lipman.
Lipman sees strong potential in this 2019 team and hopes for continuing success as the Commodore Classic continues.
“I thought the entire team showed us a lot out there today. Clearly, they put in a lot of work over the break and came back eager and ready to compete. I’m looking forward to what the rest of this weekend has in store,” said Lipman.
The Commodores welcome North Carolina on Saturday as the three teams compete in doubles play followed by singles.
Commodore Classic Day 1 Results:
Klinger (VU) def. Inno (BU); 6-2, 6-0
Freeman (VU) def. Illic (BU); 6-3, 6-4
Harwell (VU) def. Valy (BU); 6-2, 6-1
Rowe (VU) def Rudowski (BU); 6-3, 6-0
Sisam (VU) def. Briggs (BU); 6-3, 6-2
Ferreira (VU) def. Sterkens (BU); 6-4, 6-2
Virtanen (VU) def. Khan (BU); 6-1, 7-6
Worst (VU) def. Faulkner (BU); 6-2, 6-1
Ross (VU) def. Kelly (BU); 6-2, 7-5
Doubles Round One
1. Klinger/Rowe (VU) vs Boyden/Blumberg (UNC)
2. Harwell/Freeman (VU) vs Sigouin/Cernoch (UNC)
3. Ferreira/Worst (VU) vs Kiger/Soendergaard (UNC)
4. Sisam/Virtanen (VU) vs Inno/Ilic (Belmont)
5. Ross/Sraberg (VU) vs Valy/Briggs (Belmont)
6. Chari/Lee (VU) vs Khan/Rudowski
1. Klinger (VU) vs Sigouin (UNC)
2. Freeman (VU) vs Cernoch (UNC)
3. Harwell (VU) vs Boyden (UNC)
4. Rowe (VU) vs Kiger (UNC)
5. Sisam (VU) vs Inno (Belmont)
6. Ferreira (VU) vs Ilic (Belmont)
7. Virtanen (VU) vs Valy (Belmont)
8. Worst (VU) vs Soendergaard (UNC)
9. Ross (VU) vs Harrison (UNC)
10. Sraberg (VU) vs Rudowski (Belmont)
11. Lee (VU) vs Briggs (Belmont)
12. Chari (VU) vs Sterkens (Belmont)