NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Cruising to a 7-0 victory Saturday afternoon over Lipscomb, Vanderbilt won a pair of singles and doubles matches without losing a game on the way to a convincing showing at Currey Tennis Center.
To start the day, the Commodores’ top duos of Anna Ross and Holly Staff at No. 1 and Emma Kurtz with Marcella Cruz at No. 2 raced to the finish line to clinch the doubles point,as both claimed 6-0 victories. To complete the sweep at No. 3, Christina Rosca and Anessa Lee finished off a 6-2 win.
In singles, Lee and Cruz continued to put bagels on the scoreboard with Lee topping Anja Trbeznik 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3 and Cruz defeating Sasha Dobranos by the same scoreline. Not far behind, Kurtz took out Emma Zakordoniec 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 and Dasha Kourkina matched Kurtz with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Liza Diachenko at No. 5.
— Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis (@VandyWTennis) February 6, 2021
Ross continued her dominating start to 2021 with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 1 and Amanda Meyer, playing her first dual match of the season, rebounded from a 1-3 deficit in the first set to claim 11 of the match’s final 13 games to win 6-3, 6-2.
The Commodores will turn around and take on their final in-state nonconference foe Sunday afternoon when they welcome ETSU. First serve is scheduled to follow the men’s tennis match which is set for 10:30 a.m. against Rice.
1. Anna Ross (VANDY) def. Kate Popova (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
2. Emma Kurtz (VANDY) def. Emma Zakordoniec (LIP) 6-1, 6-0
3. Anessa Lee (VANDY) def. Anja Trbeznik (LIP) 6-0, 6-0
4. Marcella Cruz (VANDY) def. Sasha Dobranos (LIP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dasha Kourkina (VANDY) def. Liza Diachenko (LIP) 6-1, 6-0
6. Amanda Meyer (VANDY) def. Maddox Brandy (LIP) 6-3, 6-2
1. Anna Ross/Holly Staff (VANDY) def. Emma Zakordoniec/Kate Popova (LIP) 6-0
2. Emma Kurtz/Marcella Cruz (VANDY) def. Liza Diachenko/Sasha Dobranos (LIP) 6-0
3. Christina Rosca/Anessa Lee (VANDY) def. Perri Howard/Maddox Brandy (LIP) 6-2
Vanderbilt 5-0; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,3,5,1,6)