BERKELEY, Calif. — Vanderbilt women’s tennis fell to fourth-ranked Cal at the ITA Kickoff finals Saturday in California, 4-0.
- The Commodores put up a fight against the fourth-ranked Bears, ultimately dropping the doubles point to start the match.
- Anna Ross and Holly Staff were locked in a 5-5 battle at the top court when their match was ruled unfinished.
- On Court 2, Marcella Cruz and Yufei Long worked to a 6-4 set in favor of the opposition to end the doubles competition.
- Anessa Lee and Dasha Kourkina teamed up on Court 3 where they dropped a 6-1 decision to start the match.
- Cruz dropped a pair of sets at No. 5 singles as Cal took the 2-0 lead.
- On Court 3, Long fought to a 6-3 set loss to open singles play before falling in straight sets by a 6-2 score in the second.
- The Golden Bears clinched the final point with a pair of set wins over Staff, 7-6 and 6-2.
- Ross defeated her opponent on Court 1, 6-4, before leaving the second set unfinished in the loss.
- Anessa Lee and Dasha Kourkina also competed, with their second sets going unfinished.
The Dores return home to host East Tennessee State (Feb. 4) and Louisville (Feb. 6) next weekend.
— Anchor Down —