Vanderbilt Baseball Weekly Report – May 9, 2022
Overall Record: 31-15, 12-12 SEC
Streak: Won 1
Last Week’s Results (2-2)
Tuesday, May 3 vs. #10 Louisville – L, 1-0
Friday, May 6 at #22 Georgia – W, 11-9
Saturday, May 7 at #22 Georgia – W, 13-7
Sunday, May 8 at #22 Georgia – W, 4-0
This Week (All times central)
Tuesday, May 10 vs. Indiana State – 6 p.m.
Friday, May 13 at #4 Arkansas – 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 14 at #4 Arkansas – 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, May 15 at #4 Arkansas – 2 p.m.
Player of the Week Nominee
Dominic Keegan – UTL – 6-0 – 210 – Methuen, Mass.
Weekly totals: 4 G/4 GS .357 (5-for-14), 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 BB, 4 R
– Collected a hit in each game on the weekend series at No. 22 Georgia, while also scoring a run in every game
– Recorded three home runs on the weekend, including a two-run shot in each contest
– Posted multi-hit outings in two of the three games in Athens
– Recorded an on-base percentage of .600 against the Bulldogs, while slugging 1.273 on the weekend
– Finished Friday’s series opener with a team-high three RBI
– Reached base in every plate appearance in Sunday’s series finale, including scoring two of Vanderbilt’s four runs on the day
Pitcher/Freshman of the Week Nominee
Carter Holton – LHP – 5-11 – 195 – Savannah, Ga.
Weekly totals: GS, W, 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K
– Turned in another impressive performance in the series finale at No. 22 Georgia
– Tossed 6.0 shutout innings, allowing four hits and two walks while striking out five
– Picked up his fourth win on the campaign
– Notched his fifth quality start on the year with the outing
– Helped Vanderbilt earn its ninth shutout on the season
Vanderbilt went 2-2 on the week, concluding the weekend with a series win against a ranked Georgia squad on the road in Athens. The Commodores dropped their midweek contest against No. 10 Louisville, 1-0, on Tuesday at Hawkins Field. Vandy starter Devin Futrell (8-1) went six innings and allowed just the one earned run in his first loss on the campaign. He struck out five. Vandy held on for an 11-9 win over No. 22 Georgia on Friday evening at Foley Field in the series opener. Five Commodores recorded multi-hit outings, while seven of nine starters registered at least one hit. The offensive effort was led by Enrique Bradfield Jr., who went for 4-for-5 with a team-high four runs scored. The duo of Spencer Jones and Javier Vaz recorded three hits each, while Calvin Hewett and Dominic Keegan registered two hits apiece. Sophomore right-hander Christian Little (1-1) made his first start on the year and picked up the win. After dropping Saturday’s contest by a score of 13-7, the Dores responded with their NCAA DI-leading ninth shutout on the season, blanking the Bulldogs 4-0. Carter Holton (6-3) tossed 6.0 scoreless innings, allowing four hits and two walks while striking out five to earn his sixth win on the campaign. The freshman southpaw notched his fifth quality start on the year. The Commodores used two arms out of the bullpen to preserve the shutout with the duo of Nick Maldonado and Thomas Schultz. Maldonado worked 2.0 scoreless frames, while Schultz covered the ninth to close out the win. Keegan homered three times in the series, including a two-run shot on Sunday to put the Dores in front early. Javier Vaz added a pair of RBI as well on a 2-for-4 day at the plate.