Dec. 30, 2011
Vanderbilt 74, #14/13 Marquette 57
December 29, 2011 * Attendance: 15,684
Bradley Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
Starters: Senior Guard Brad Tinsley (1), Junior Guard John Jenkins (23), Senior Forwards Jeffery Taylor (44), Lance Goulbourne (5), Steve Tchiengang (33). Vanderbilt is now 7-3 with this starting lineup this season.
Career starts: Tinsley 102, Jenkins 51, Taylor 110, Goulbourne 33, Tchiengang 28
- Head coach Kevin Stallings’ overall record moved to 368-215 (18), and 245-152 (13) at Vanderbilt.
- Series record between the two schools is now tied at 3.
- The Commodores defeated their first ranked opponent of the season with the victory and moved to 1-2 in 2011-12 against ranked opponents. It was also Vanderbilt’s first road win over a ranked opponent since January 27, 2010 (at Tennessee, W, 85-76).
- The 17-point win was VU’s largest margin of victory over a ranked opponent since defeating Tennessee, 90-71, on Feb. 9, 2010, at Memorial Gym.
- The road win moved Vanderbilt to 2-1 on the season in true road contests.
- The Commodores held Marquette to only 32.1% from the floor, their best defensive performance of the season. The Golden Eagles only shot 21.2% in the first half.
- VU was 10-22 from beyond-the-arc (45.5%) for the game, and held Marquette to 20% (3-15) from three.
- The Commodores are 37-82 from three in their last three games – 45.1%, and an average of 12.3 threes per game in that span.
- VU has now made 10 or more threes in six contests this season.
- Vanderbilt outrebounded Marquette, 39-35, and are now 9-1 in games in which they outrebound their opponent. The Commodores outscored the Golden Eagles, 16-11, in second-chance points.
- The Commodores’ largest lead of the game was 27, and it came at the 7:22 mark in the first half.
- Vanderbilt trailed only one time, and it came at the 19:05 mark in the first half. The Commodores went on a 12-0 run to turn a 7-4 lead into 19-4, and then reeled off another 12 consecutive points after Marquette scored their 6th point (31-6).
- The Commodores have won all but two opening tips this season.
- Jeffery Taylor scored a game-high 19 points, the 11th consecutive double-digit scoring game for Taylor. Vanderbilt is now 24-5 in games since the beginning of 2010-11 when Taylor scores 15 or more points.
- In his last five games, Taylor is averaging 23.0 points per game and is 46-74 from the floor in those games (62.6%).
- John Jenkins extended his streak to 36 consecutive games with a 3FG and his 44th consecutive game in double figures. Jenkins scored 14 points and was 4-8 from beyond-the arc for the game.
- Jenkins has made three or more threes in nine contests this year and 40 in his career.
- Brad Tinsley scored in double figures with 11 points and had eight assists. He is averaging 9.0 assists in his last two games.
- Lance Goulbourne scored 13 points, had 16 rebounds, two assists, three blocks, and three steals in the game. The 16 rebounds was one off of his career high, which he set last season at LSU.
- Senior center Festus Ezeli returned to the floor after missing the last two games recovering from a sprained right knee. Ezeli played 17 minutes, scored eight points and grabbed seven rebounds.