MIAMI – The Vanderbilt women’s tennis team completed its first weekend of competition Monday with Day 3 of the Miami Spring Invite.
The Commodores challenged North Carolina State at singles and took on Texas in doubles on the final day of the three-day tournament.
Against the Wolfpack
- The Dores won three courts of singles competition Monday in Miami against NC State.
- On court one, Anna Ross defeated Jaeda Daniel, who ranks eighth nationally at singles, in straight sets. After a tightly contested first set in which Ross topped Daniel 7-5 she went on to dominate the second set with a final of 6-1.
- Ranked 112th in the nation, Anessa Lee took on the Wolfpack’s Abigail Renchell who came into the contest ranked 25th. Lee claimed a pair of set wins on court two, defeating her opponent 6-3 and 7-5.
- 96th-ranked Marcella Cruz also claimed victory on Day 3 of singles by defeating Sophie Abrams with a pair of 6-3 set wins.
- Holly Staff, Amy Stevens, Dasha Kourkina and MaryAnn Rompf also competed Monday with the latter two falling in close three-set matches.
- The Commodores went 2-1 on the doubles side of competition as Cruz and Yufei Long, along with Kourkina and Lee, each tallied victories over Texas opponents.
- The duo of Cruz and Long registered a 6-4 decision over their competition Monday while Kourkina and Lee picked up a decisive 6-2 victory on court three.
- Ross and Staff also competed as a doubles team, ultimately falling to the Longhorns on their court 6-3.
The Commodores return to Nashville for a pair of dual meets against Middle Tennessee State and Northwestern, Friday and Sunday, respectively
Their first home match against the Blue Raiders of MTSU is set for 11 a.m. Friday.