NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Vanderbilt women’s tennis team opened their home season with a dominant 7-0 sweep over in-state rival Middle Tennessee Friday.
After a strong start at doubles, in which all three courts were won by the home Commodores, the women continued their success onto the singles courts, picking up seven wins, including an exhibition victory.
- Marcella Cruz and Amy Stevens secured the first set win for the Dores Friday morning, defeating Barnard and Alexis of MTSU, 6-2, on court two.
- After a battle through the first half of their set, tied 3-3, Anna Ross and Anessa Lee rallied to top their opponents, 6-3, and secure the doubles point.
- The two teams played out the doubles competition on court three, with Yufei Long and MaryAnn Rompf completing the sweep for the Dores with a 6-4 win over Schmidt and Swarbrick.
- The Commodores swept the competition on the singles court as well, with each individual picking up points in straight-sets.
- Following up on her doubles play, Yufei Long kept the Dores rolling as she managed to drop just one game over two sets for the 6-0 and 6-1 set wins on court three.
- On court one, Anna Ross defeated her Blue Raiders opponent Lee Barnard, 6-1 and 6-2, to give Vandy the 3-0 lead over MTSU.
- Marcella Cruz clinched the victory for the Dores with 6-1 and 6-2 set wins over Zani Barnard, giving Vandy the 4-0 lead while the remaining singles played out.
- Court five saw Amy Stevens take down Noelle Mauro of MTSU in a tightly contested second set. After a convincing 6-1 win in the first set, Stevens battled to a 7-5 second set score for the point.
- Anessa Lee pulled off the win on court two, making it 6-0, Vanderbilt. After trialing late in the first set, she stormed back to claim the 7-6 set one win before a dominant 6-3 victory in set two over MTSU’s Love-Star Alexis.
- Dasha Kourkina rounded out the scoring for the Dores Friday, clinching a pair of 6-1 set wins on court six to complete the sweep.
- MaryAnn Rompf also saw time on the court, getting two sets over MTSU’s Eloise Swarbrick in exhibition play, 6-1 and 6-2?
On the Radar
The Commodores return to the Currey Tennis Center at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 23, to face Northwestern as the Wildcats open their season.