NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Vanderbilt soccer and head coach Darren Ambrose are pleased to welcome the 2019 early signing class on Monday with Maya Antoine, Ashtyn Fink, Sophie Guilmette, Alex Kerr and Kimya Raietparvar.
“I am thrilled to see these young women arrive on campus later this year,” Ambrose said. “This is the culmination of a couple of years of hard work by our staff, particularly by Ken and KK who have invested themselves whole heartedly into this process. The result is a very talented and positionally and geographically diverse group. They have represented themselves and their families, teams and at times country in the highest manner possible and look forward to them having a similar impact in our program.”
The Commodores finished first in the SEC standings this past season, winning their first SEC Championship since 1994. The Dores set the longest winning streak in program history with 13 games and the longest unbeaten streak with 16.
Introducing Vanderbilt Soccer’s 2019 Signees:
Coach Ambrose on Maya Antoine: “Maya’ s experience at the international level has prepared her well for a impactful career in our program. Her athleticism in our backline will provide additional strength in that space for our team. We expect her to compete for a spot somewhere in our backline early in her career and she has the potential to become an impact in a defensive role as she settles into Vanderbilt.”
- Born August 8, 2001 in Toronto, Ontario
- Full Name: Maya Aliyah Antoine
- Prefers to be called: Maya
- Parents: Gerard Antoine and Jennifer Munro-Antoine
- Has one sibling, Jayden
- Twitter: MayaAntoine3
- Instagram: maya_antoine3
- Appeared for her country 37 times, starting 17
- Member of Canada U-17 World Cup Semi-Final (Uruguay)
- Member of Canada U-20 World Cup Qualifying
- Member of Canada WNT Player Pool
- Member of Ontario EXCEL Program
- Best XI at the CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championship
- She was 14 years old when she made her debut in the Canadian youth program in 2016 with coach Beverly Priestman (Current England WNT assistant coach)
- Chose Vanderbilt because “The location of the school and how close everything is without being overwhelmingly cramped. The variety of programs as well as the opportunities available to students who attend.”
- Favorite sports team is Real Madrid C.F.
- Favorite sport other than soccer is track and field.
- Favorite soccer player is Marco Vieira, favorite athlete in another sport is Steph Curry.
- Favorite movie is Deadpool.
- Favorite musical performer is Khalid.
- Bucket list item is skydiving, traveling across Europe and bungee jumping.
- Chose Vanderbilt over South Florida and West Virginia.
Coach Ambrose on Ashtyn Fink: “Ashtyn is a tough, pacey forward with a nose for goal. She is single minded in the final third and has the physical tools to create problems for opponents. She will be a great compliment to our front line and allows us to combine different personalities. She joins a very talented frontline this fall and will find a way to contribute to the attacking threat we have.”
- Born December 12, 2000 in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Full Name: Ashtyn Paige Fink
- Prefers to be called: Ashtyn
- Parents: Brian and Jean Fink
- Has two siblings, Ainsley and Ethan
- Twitter: @ashtynfink3
- Instagram: @ashtyn_33
- Four-star recruit according to TopDrawerSoccer.com
- All-Southern Nevada Offensive Player of the Year
- 2018 Nevada 4A State Champions after going undefeated that season
- All-Desert Region team and All-Southern Nevada Team for high school.
- IMG Academy 79th best player
- Captain of high school soccer team
- Chose Vanderbilt because “I love everything about it. The school atmosphere, the city, the soccer team, the coaches and the conference.”
- Favorite sports team is Vegas Golden Knights.
- Favorite sport other than soccer is volleyball/track.
- Favorite soccer player is Alex Morgan, favorite athlete in another sport is Marc Andre Fleury and William Karlsson.
- Favorite movie is How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Favorite musical performer is Post Malone, Kygo and Old Dominion.
- Bucket list item is skydiving and learning how to juggle.
- Chose Vanderbilt over Louisiana Monroe, Washington and Utah.
Coach Ambrose on Sophie Guilmette: “Sophie is a great shot stopper and a goalkeeper who has tremendous experience representing her country at the youth international level for several years. Her presence and organizational abilities set her apart and we hope to see her continue to grow in our program. She will join what I believe is one of the most competitive goalkeeper situations in the country this year.”
- Born March 24, 2001 in Montreal
- Full Name: Sophie Guilmette
- Prefers to be called: Soph
- Parents: Bruno Guilmette and Chantal Heroux
- Has one sibling, Vincent
- Twitter: @so_guilmette
- Instagram: @sosoguim
- Quebec Cup Champions in 2016 with Lakeshore SC
- League Champions with Lakeshore SC in 2016
- Canada Games Champions in 2017 with Provincial Team
- Starting goalkeeper for Quebec Team at Canada Games 2017
- Starting goalkeeper at U15 CONCACAF with Team Canada in Orlando 2016
- Jordan World Cup 2016 at 15 years old
- Saputo Bursary Recipient in 2016 and 2017
- She was 15 years old when she made her debut in the Canadian youth program in 2016 with coaches Joey Lombardi and Carmelina Moscato
- Has started 5 matches for her country
- Chose Vanderbilt because “I decided to come to Vanderbilt because I wanted to challenge and bring the best out of myself and get out of my comfort zone. I wanted to be able to make the best of both worlds, which were studies and soccer. I loved the coaching staff, as well as the campus, players and environment. I want to succeed in both career and sport.”
- Favorite sports team is FC Barcelona and Montreal Canadians. Favorite sport other than soccer is snowboarding.
- Favorite soccer player is Manuel Neuer, favorite athlete in another sport is Sydney Crosby.
- Favorite movie is She’s the Man. Favorite musical performer is Khalid and Linkin Park.
- Bucket list item is traveling to Europe
- Chose Vanderbilt over Memphis, Utah and Princeton.
Coach Ambrose on Alex Kerr: “Alex is a forward with great pace and a good soccer background. She is very good with her back to goal and once she gets running forward, is dangerous off of the dribble. She can play in any of the three spots in a frontline. This versatility adds a lot of depth to a very talented frontline in 2019.”
- Born July 23, 2001 in Boston, Massachusetts
- Full Name: Alexandra Catherine Kerr
- Prefers to be called: Alex
- Parents: John and Tracy Kerr
- Has two siblings, Cameron and Drew
- Twitter: @alexandrakerr7
- Instagram: @alexckerr
- High school-scoring record as a sophomore (44 goals)
- Club-leading goal scorer (16)
- 2017 NSCAA Girls High School All-Atlantic Region
- Chose Vanderbilt because “The city, the school, it has high level soccer along with great academics.”
- Favorite sports team is Barcelona. Favorite sport other than soccer is tennis.
- Favorite soccer player is Jamie Vardy, favorite athlete in another sport is Serena Williams and Gabby Douglas
- Favorite movie is Pitch Perfect. Favorite musical performer is Post Malone.
- Bucket list item is traveling the world, skydiving and surfing.
- Chose Vanderbilt over Princeton, Southern California and University of Virginia.
Coach Ambrose on Kimya Raietparvar: “Kimya was a terrific late find for us and will join us this semester. She is one of the most technical players in the group. Her quick feet and intelligent combination play, will be a great addition to our midfield. She has a high soccer IQ combined with an agile, quick first step which makes her dangerous in possession.”
- Born August 25, 2000 in Denton, Texas
- Full Name: Kimya Raietparvar
- Prefers to be called: Kim
- Parents: Turaj and Shalarzad Raietparvar
- Has one sibling, Vida
- Twitter: @kimya017
- PDP Selection in 2016 and 2017
- First Team All-Conference US Soccer DA (2017)
- Newcomer of the Year (2016)
- ODP Regional and State Team
- U16 and U14 G Futsal US National Team
- Region 3 Pool
- Team MVP at Thanksgiving ODP-Interregional Event
- Member of the U19 Iran National Team
- Chose Vanderbilt because “The academic and athletic component of the school along with a beautiful campus.”
- Favorite sports team is FC Barcelona. Favorite sport other than soccer is basketball.
- Favorite soccer player is Lionel Messi, favorite athlete in another sport is Kevin Durant.
- Favorite movie is any Disney movie. Favorite musical performer is Khalid.
- Bucket list item is going to a Golden State Warriors game and skydiving.
- Chose Vanderbilt over Alabama, Mississippi State, North Texas, Pittsburgh and Tulsa.