April 8, 2010
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Vanderbilt women’s track team completed the first event of the Sea Ray Relays, the heptathlon, which spread over Wednesday and Thursday.
Commodore newcomer Buky Bamigboye took fourth in the event, including second in the shot put and third in the javelin. The Nashville native finished in the top-five in six of seven events. She came away with 5,206 points and sits tenth nationally in the heptathlon. Bamigboye also moves into fourth in the VU record books for the heptathlon, taking over former Vanderbilt great Ryan Tolbert’s position (5022).
VU senior Mallory Hitt finished twelfth in the heptathlon, scoring a career-high 4527 points. Hitt had strong performances in the high jump, long jump, and javelin, bettering her personal best by 200 points.
“I’m very happy with the ladies’ performances the past two days,” commented Vanderbilt assistant coach Clark Humphreys. “We had personal bests in high jump and javelin for Buky and in points for Mallory. It was a great couple of days for us.”
The Commodores return Friday at the Sea Ray Relays to compete in the individual running events and Saturday for the medleys and relays.
4. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 5206
12. Mallory Hitt (VU): 4527
Heptathlon: #1 Women 100 Meter Hurdles
5. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 14.39
11. Mallory Hitt (VU): 15.08
Heptathlon: #2 Women High Jump
5. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 5-06.50
9. Mallory Hitt (VU): 5-03.00
Heptathlon: #3 Women Shot Put
2. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 38-05.50
15. Mallory Hitt (VU): 28-06.25
Heptathlon: #4 Women 200 Meter Dash
5. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 25.41
8. Mallory Hitt (VU): 26.06
Heptathlon: #5 Women Long Jump
9. Mallory Hitt (VU): 17-01.50
11. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 16-07.75
Heptathlon: #6 Women Javelin Throw
3. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 119-11
6. Mallory Hitt (VU): 107-04
Heptathlon: #7 Women 800 Meter Run
4. Buky Bamigboye (VU): 2:24.15
14. Mallory Hitt (VU): 2:39.75