TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Vanderbilt women’s tennis advanced to 4-0 in SEC play defeating Alabama, 4-0, marking head coach Geoff Macdonald’s 500th win at Vanderbilt.
“The best decision I have ever made in my life was to come to Vanderbilt,” said Macdonald. “I have had the opportunity to coach remarkable players; great players come to Vanderbilt. Watching them learn and go on to do amazing things in their tennis careers has been such an honor. I am so thankful for this university and being able to earn my 500th win today as a Commodore is an incredible milestone.”
Battling to a victory over the Tide, Vanderbilt earned an eager start collecting the doubles point over Alabama with wins on Courts 1 and 3.
Veteran Commodore duo, seniors Summer Dvorak and Fernanda Contreras held Alabama duo, Gintrand/Selim to one point earning the first doubles victory for the Dores, followed by Commodore pair Emma Kurtz and Emily Smith clinching the doubles point, 6-2 over Alabama’s Daniell/Moka.
Earning a tenacious start in singles, No. 67 Georgia Drummy defeated Alabama’s Alba Cortina Pou in a straight set, 6-2, 6-4 putting the Dores up, 2-0.
Third-ranked Contreras extended the Commodores lead to 3-0 taking down Alabama’s No. 66 Andie Daniell in the first set, 7-5. Holding Daniell to one sole point in the second set, Contreras secure the victor, 6-1.
No. 32 Amanda Meyer battled against Alabama’s Luca Fabian on court four collecting the first set in a set tiebreaker, 7-6 (6). Coming back from a 1-2 deficit in the second set, Meyer stormed back to hold Fabian to two points, clinching the match for the Commodores, 6-2.
The Dores are back in action Friday at Texas A&M at 5 p.m.
Follow along with the Commodores as they prepare for the Aggies by following @VandyWTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
#5 Vanderbilt 4, Alabama 0
1. #3 Fernanda Contreras (VANDY) def. #66 Andie Daniell (UA) 7-5, 6-1
2. Moka Ito (UA) vs. #8 Christina Rosca (VANDY) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
3. #67 Georgia Drummy (VANDY) def. Alba Cortina Pou (UA) 6-2, 6-4
4. #32 Amanda Meyer (VANDY) def. Luca Fabian (UA) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
5. Ann Selim (UA) vs. Summer Dvorak (VANDY) 6-4, 0-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Kimberley Gintrand (UA) vs. Emma Kurtz (VANDY) 7-5, 3-5, unfinished
1. Emma Kurtz/Emily Smith (VANDY) def. Andie Daniell/Moka Ito (UA) 6-2
2. Luca Fabian/Alba Cortina Pou (UA) vs. #51 Georgia Drummy/Christina Rosca (VANDY) 1-5, unfinished
3. #30 Summer Dvorak/Fernanda Contreras (VANDY) def. Kimberley Gintrand/Ann Selim (UA) 6-1
Vanderbilt 9-3, 4-0 SEC; National ranking #5
Alabama 11-6, 1-3 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,4)