OXFORD, Miss. — Vanderbilt got 22 points and six assists from Scotty Pippen Jr. and survived a road test at Ole Miss with a 63-61 victory Saturday.
James White missed a runner at the buzzer for Ole Miss that would have sent the game into overtime, allowing Vandy to walk off the floor triumphant.
Vanderbilt (15-15) now turns its attention to the SEC Tournament in Tampa, Florida, where it will be the No. 11 seed and face 14th-seeded Georgia (6-25) at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at AMALIE Arena. Vandy beat Georgia twice during the regular season.
On Saturday at The Pavilion, both teams got off to a relatively slow start offensively. Vandy found itself in a 10-5 hole less than seven minutes into the game after an Austin Crowley layup.
Crowley’s floater from the left baseline put the Rebels up 22-15 at the 6:47 mark. A few minutes later, Crowley’s triple from the right corner allowed Ole Miss to enjoy a 27-17 lead.
Vanderbilt put together a 9-4 run right before halftime, but White hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from the left corner for Ole Miss to make it 33-26 going into the break.
Pippen finished with 11 points and went 3 of 7 from the field. The rest of his team went 5-for-17.
Vandy put together a 9-2 run to begin the second half and tied the game at 35 on a Robbins shot that was goal-tended. Trey Thomas and Myles Stute, respectively, answered a pair of Ole Mis triples with 3s of their own to keep the game all square at 41 apiece.
Stute finally gave Vanderbilt the lead with a left-side 3 at 47-45. The Commodores wouldn’t score for another 3:51 until a Pippen steal and dunk gave Vandy a 49-47 lead.
Pippen’s 3 with 7:09 remaining gave the visitors a 54-49 lead. His shot-clock beating, bank-in triple with 4:21 to go gave the Commodores their largest lead at 60-53—a lead they would have to hold on to for dear life.
Crowley and Matthew Murrell each scored 15 to lead Ole Miss (13-18).
- Vanderbilt’s seven league wins is its most since winning 11 during the 2015-16 season.
- Vandy’s five road wins this season is the most since the 2016-17 campaign (5).
- Pippen has scored at least 20 points in seven straight games, since Dan Langhi scored at least 20 points in eight straight games in 1999.
- Pippen Jr. now is tied for the second-most made free throws (453) in Vanderbilt history. A.J. Ogilvy (first) made 471.
- Pippen Jr. has 616 points this season, the eighth-most in a single Vanderbilt season and the fourth-most by a junior in a single Vanderbilt season.
- Wright has now started 35 straight games for Vanderbilt.
- Thomas has now played in 55 straight games for the Commodores.
- Vanderbilt is now 3-11 this season when trailing at halftime and 14-7 when shooting at least 40 percent.
- The Commodores are now 78-48 all-time against the Rebels and 28-34 as the visiting team.
- Attendance on Saturday was announced as 6,173.