Dec. 17, 2011
Indiana State 61, Vanderbilt 55
December 17, 2011 * Memorial Gym – Nashville, Tenn.
- Vanderbilt: Senior Guard Brad Tinsley (1), Junior Guard John Jenkins (23), Senior Forwards Festus Ezeli (3) and Jeffery Taylor (44), and Sophomore Forward Rod Odom (45).
- Career Stars: Taylor 107, Tinsley 99, Jenkins 48, Ezeli 46, Odom 10.
- Sixth time VU has used this lineup. Previous five times occurred in 2010-11, where ‘Dores were 4-1 in those games. They are 4-2 now.
- Kevin Stallings is now 365-215 in his career, and 242-152 with the Commodores.
- Vanderbilt moves to 1-2in their all-time series against the Sycamores. Stallings is now 10-4 against Indiana State in his career.
- This is Vanderbilt’s fourth non-conference loss this season. The Commodores have not lost four non-conference games in a season since 2006-07.
- Vanderbilt scored only 2 points in the last 6:31 of the game and were outscored, 16-2, over that stretch.
- Vanderbilt shot 38.0% from the field. VU is 0-2 this season when shooting less than 40%. They also shot 27.3% in 3FG to Indiana State’s 47.6%. The Commodores are 0-2 when shooting less than 30% from beyond the arc.
Second half notes:
- The Sycamores opened with eight straight points in the first 1:35 to take a 36-28 lead.
- Taylor scored 10 consecutive points in the second half to retake the lead for the Commodores at 15:34 (39-38). It was a 10-0 run for the Dores.
- In the second half Vanderbilt scored nine second chance points and allowed none to be scored by Indiana State.
First half notes:
- Vanderbilt won opening tip. They are now 6-3 this season when winning the opening tip.
- The Dores scored firstÃƒÆ’Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Âthey are now 3-2 when scoring the first basket of a game this season.
- Vanderbilt allowed an eight-point run before the first media timeout. They shot 12.5% (1-8) before scoring again at the 13:30 mark.
- Trailed 13-4 by the second media timeout (11:51), shooting 18.2% (2-9) and 0-6 from beyond the arc.
- At 8:54, the first free throw was attempted (Vanderbilt).
- Taylor led scoring with 9 points. Tinsley and Jenkins each scored 7 for the Dores.
- Tinsley led Vandy in rebounds in the first half with 4.
- Vanderbilt had 6 turnovers, while Indiana State recorded 5 in the first half. Vanderbilt converted their turnovers into nine points versus Indiana State’s 4 points off turnovers.
- Indiana State’s bench scored 13 points, while 3 points were scored off the bench for Vanderbilt.
- Vanderbilt had zero second chance points in the first half to Indiana State’s 5.
- The two teams were tied at 28-28 at the half. After the loss, the Commodores are now 1-1 when tied at the half this season.
- The Dores outshot Indiana State 41.7% to 35.7% in field goals and 71.4% to 50% from the charity stripe. Indiana State was 6-13 (46.2%) to Vandy’s 3-12 (25%) from outside the arc. The Dores are 0-1 this year when they make less three pointers than their opponents.
- It was the first start for Festus Ezeli this season after coming back from a right knee injury. He scored four points and tallied one block, leaving him two shy of Will Perdue’s career blocks record of 157.
- Taylor led the Commodores with 21points on three 3-point baskets. It marked the ninth game in double figures for the forward this season. He has only been held to single digits from the floor onceÃƒÆ’Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Âagainst Cleveland State on 11/13/11.
- Taylor’s three treys marked the third straight contest that the senior has tallied a trio of baskets from beyond the arc.
- Tinsley set a new season-best for rebounds with six. His career mark is 10 boards, set on two occasions (last on January 2, 2011). Tinsley added 12 points and led the Commodores with three assists.
- Jenkins recorded his 41st consecutive game of scoring in double digits with his season-low 11 points. The junior went 1-6 from beyond the arc, failing to tally multiple threes for the first time this season.