NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Another home series is on tap for Vanderbilt as the fourth-ranked Commodores are set to welcome Wagner to Hawkins Field this weekend.
The three-game series is set to begin with a noon first pitch in a Friday doubleheader, with Game 2 scheduled to begin 45 minutes after the conclusion of the first. The series finale between the Commodores and Seahawks is set for 1 p.m. Sunday. All three games will be streamed live on SEC Network+.
• Vanderbilt returns home this weekend to host Wagner for its final weekend series before conference play starts.
• Vandy enters the weekend riding a nine-game winning streak. The Commodores are averaging 8.1 runs per contest across the span, while limiting opponents to 1.7 runs per game.
• Vanderbilt notched a four-game sweep at Hawaii last weekend, outscoring the Rainbow Warriors 36-5 across the four matchups.
Success in the Non-Con
• The Commodores have experienced great success in their nonconference weekend series, dating to 2013.
• Vanderbilt owns a 78-18 record across its nonconference weekend series, including a 8-2 record this season.
• The Dores have won 29-of-32 weekend nonconference series including 11 of their last 12, dating to 2017.
• The Commodores have won 17 of their last 19 regular season home series. Vandy has won 64-of-78 three-game sets at The Hawk since 2011.
• Friday’s series opener will mark the first time that Vanderbilt and Wagner have met in the all-time history between the two programs
Diaz Earns Freshman of the Week
• Freshman Davis Diaz earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors for his impressive performance across Vanderbilt’s five games last week.
• Diaz batted .579 (11-for-19) across the week with a team-high tying 11 hits. He scored 10 of Vanderbilt’s 41 total runs.
• The Pittsburg, California, native posted multi-hit outings in four of the Commodores’ five contests, including three three-hit efforts.
Close to Perfection
• Freshman Carter Holton came up just short of a perfect game in his start last week against Hawaii.
• The rookie southpaw carried a perfect game bid into the bottom of the seventh before issuing a leadoff walk to begin the inning.
• Holton worked a season-long 7.0 innings while racking up a personal -best nine strikeouts.
• He became the first Commodore to throw a seven-inning complete game since March 25, 2018, when Mason Hickman went the full seven innings against LSU.
• Following the weekend series, Vanderbilt will host Michigan in the midweek for its final tuneup prior to conference play.
• The Commodores open SEC play with a home series against Missouri next weekend.