NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Vanderbilt women’s tennis team concluded its regular season with a convincing 4-1 win over visiting Ole Miss Sunday. After clinching the doubles point in three sets, the Commodores earned four first set wins at singles to lift them to victory.
With the win, the Dores finish the regular season with a 15-8 record and 6-7 in SEC play.
- The Commodores started things out on top, clinching the doubles point with a win on Court 3. After dropping a 6-0 decision on the top court, the Dores came back to win the next two to secure the opening point.
- Holly Staff and Yufei Long paired up at No. 2 doubles to take a 6-1 set over their Rebels opponents.
- MaryAnn Rompf and Dasha Kourkina improved their dynamic duo with a 6-4 win on Court 3 on senior day.
Strength in Singles
- On her senior day Yufei Long added to the Dores lead, finishing first at singles with a win in straight sets on Court 4. After sweeping her opening bout, Long claimed a 6-4 win in set two to give Vanderbilt the 2-0 lead.
- Lee dropped a pair of sets at No. 1 singles, 5-7 and 2-6, as the Rebels cut the Vanderbilt lead in half partway through the match.
- Staff pulled the Commodores within one point of the win with her victory in straight sets on Court 2. The sophomore held strong in her opening set, beating her Rebel opponent 7-5 before taking a 6-3 second set.
- For the second consecutive match, Amy Stevens clinched the game-winner on Court 6. The freshman took set one by a quick 6-4 tally before rallying for the tiebreaker in set two, ultimately taking it 7-6(4).
The Commodores await their fate as they head into the SEC Tournament next week, April 20-24, in Gainesville, Florida.