COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Vanderbilt women’s tennis returned to road SEC play with a trip to 12th-ranked Texas A&M, falling to the home Aggies 6-1 Friday evening.
Amy Stevens grabbed the lone point for the Commodores in the matchup, securing a win on Court 5 in straight sets.
- The Aggies clinched the doubles point with wins on the top two courts Friday evening.
- On Court 1, Anna Ross and Yufei Long battled it out against third-ranked duo Jayci Goldsmith and Tatiana Makarova, claiming the first game but ultimately fell 6-2 to their Aggies opponents.
- Marcella Cruz and Anessa Lee took on Court 2 together, facing the 27th-ranked doubles team of Carson Branstine and Mary Stoiana, dropping a 6-1 decision as the Dores dropped the doubles point.
- Stevens and Holly Staff teamed up on Court 3 where they trailed their Aggies’ opponents, 4-3, when their match was called.
Sights on Singles
- Ross competed on the top court Friday, dropping a pair of 6-3 battles against No. 41 nationally Branstine.
- At No. 3 singles, Staff fought back in the second set but ultimately fell to 80th-ranked Stoiana, 6-1 and 6-4 as the Aggies took a 3-0 lead.
- Texas A&M clinched the match with a win on Court 2. After dropping the first match in a tightly contested 6-4 bout, Lee attempted to force a decisive third set but ultimately fell to her opponent, Makarova, ranked 37th
- Cruz fell to her Texas A&M competition, Goldsmith, by a pair of 6-4 sets on Court 4.
- Amy Stevens grabbed the point at No. 5 singles with a pair of wins in straight sets over Gianna Pielet, 6-3 and 7-5.
- Dasha Kourkina lost a close three-set match on Court 6 to close out the evening in Texas. After taking the first set, 6-4, Kourkina dropped the next two 6-2 and 6-3.
The Commodores conclude their weekend road trip with a match Sunday at LSU. Vandy is set to take on the Tigers for an 11 a.m. contest before returning to the road next weekend to take on Kentucky.