GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Vanderbilt women’s tennis dropped a close, 4-2, decision to sixth-ranked and top-seeded Texas A&M in the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament Friday.
With the loss, the 31st-ranked Commodores fall to 16-9 on the season and will learn their fate at the NCAA tournament on May 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Commodores held their own through doubles but the Aggies withstood a late push from Vanderbilt on all courts to take the doubles point.
- Dropping to an early 5-0 deficit, MaryAnn Rompf and Dasha Kourkina fought back, grabbing the next two games before being forced to a deciding point as they neared three-straight. At deuce, the Commodores fell 6-2 as Texas A&M took Court 3, 6-2.
- On Court 1, Anna Ross and Holly Staff battled to deuce point nearly every game but the 40th-ranked duo fell, 6-1, to the third-ranked Aggie pair of Jayci Goldsmith and Tatiana Makarova.
- Marcella Cruz and Amy Stevens trailed in a close match on Court 2 when theirs was called.
- On Court 2, No. 91 Staff took on No. 20 Tatiana Makarova, falling in a pair of sets, 6-0 and 6-2, as the Aggies extended their lead to two.
- At No. 1 singles, 41st ranked Ross fell to No. 15 Carson Branstine in straight sets as the Commodores fell to 3-0 on the afternoon.
- Kourkina is now 10-1 in her last 11 outings as the junior topped her Aggie opponent, 6-3 and 6-1 on Court 5 to get the Commodores on the board Friday.
- Moments later, Stevens pulled the Dores within one of Texas A&M with a pair of 6-3 wins on Court 6. With two courts left to play, Vanderbilt trailed top-seeded Texas A&M 3-2.
- Locked in a 6-6 tiebreak in her second set, Cruz looked to force a decisive third set but ultimately dropped the set as Texas A&M claimed a close, 4-2 win over the Commodores.
- Also looking to close things out in a third set, Lee was locked in a 4-3 battle on Court 3 when her match was abandoned.
The Commodores will have a brief break before looking to continue their season at the NCAA Tournament. The selection show airs at 6:30 p.m. on May 2, followed by the individual bracket announcement the following day.
Both selection shows will be streamed at NCAA.com.