STARKVILLE, Miss. — Vanderbilt had three in double figures and buried 13 3s en route to a 72-51 win Saturday at Mississippi State.
The Commodores (6-10, 2-8 SEC) return home at 6 p.m. Wednesday to host Kentucky (6-13, 5-7 SEC).
Vanderbilt made four of its first five shots Saturday and three of those makes were triples by Pippen. That coupled with a Brown three-point play gave Vandy an early, 12-11 lead.
A Pippen steal and layup giving the Dores a four-point lead and 17 points in the first 5 1/2 minutes – Pippen had 11 of those points.
Vanderbilt went to the bench after that and got 3s from Myles Stute and Trey Thomas along with a steal and layup from DJ Harvey to build a lead as big as 25-17. Mississippi State fought back to draw even at 28-all before an Evans 3 – Vanderbilt’s eighth of the first half.
Evans’ 3 sparked a 17-2 Vanderbilt run over the final 5:03 of the first half and allowed the Commodores to take a 45-30 lead into the break. Vandy made 10 of its 17 3s and shot 51.7 percent from the floor overall.
Vanderbilt opened a 20-point lead early in the second half when Evans buried the team’s 12th 3 making it 55-35. The Dores nearly four minutes without a score after that, but Evans stepped up with a three-point play to keep Vandy up 58-40.
The Bulldogs hit back-to-back shots with less than eight minutes to go to draw within 60-46. A two-handed Brown slam reversed the momentum and restored order for the visitors and then the senior’s 3 made it 64-46 with 4:42 to play.
Mississippi State didn’t have a late run left in the tank.
Iverson Molinar led the Bulldogs (11-11, 5-8 SEC) with 17.
• Pippen is the only Commodore to have started all 16 games for Vandy this season and has started 30 straight games for Vanderbilt.
• Vanderbilt has now made at least four 3s in 31 consecutive games.
• Vandy is now 6-2 when tied or leading at halftime this season.
• The Commodores are now 73-52 in the all-time series against Mississippi State and is 24-35 in Starkville.
• Vanderbilt won its first game in Starkville since a 72-31 victory in 2013.