NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The visitors, No. 12 Ole Miss, spoiled Senior Day at the Currey Tennis Center Sunday by taking a 4-3 decision over the Commodores to close Vanderbilt’s regular season.
Doubles saw two of the three matches go to tiebreakers, with the Rebels (10-9, 6-5 SEC) taking the point over Vanderbilt (6-15, 0-12 SEC). George Harwell and Max Freeman fell to the country’s top pair – Finn Reynolds and Tim Sandakaulen – at No. 1 by a 6-4 margin. Jeremie Casabon and Connor Robb-Wilcox fell in a tight 7-6 (6) decision at No. 2. Macsen Sisam and Adam Sraberg were deadlocked at 6-6 when their match at No. 3 was abandoned at 5-5 in the tiebreaker.
Ole Miss carried the momentum into singles and took the first two matches in straight sets for a 3-0 lead. Sisam got the Dores on the board with a quick 6-2, 6-3 win of his own at No. 5. Harwell followed right after with a straight-set win over 11th-ranked Finn Reynolds in a 7-5, 7-6 (3) to pull within a point. Joubert Klopper fell in a heartbreaking three-set match that sealed an Ole Miss win at No. 6, but Marcus Ferreira closed out the match with a three set victory (6-4, 4-6, 7-6) of his own at No. 3.
Next time out, Vanderbilt will compete in the SEC Tournament in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Vanderbilt’s seed and opponent are still to be determined and will be announced in the coming days by the SEC.
1. #98 George Harwell (VANDY) def. #11 Finn Reynolds (OM) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
2. #55 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) def. Jeremie Casabon (VANDY) 6-1, 6-2
3. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. #32 Nikola Slavic (OM) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
4. J. Hallquist Lithen (OM) def. Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-0, 6-1
5. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Simon Junk (OM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jakob Cadonau (OM) def. Joubert Klopper (VANDY) 3-6, 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
1. #1 Finn Reynolds/Tim Sandkaulen (OM) def. George Harwell/Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-4
2. Brady Draheim/Simon Junk (OM) def. Jeremie Casabon/Connor Robb-Wilcox (VANDY) 7-6 (8-6)
3. Macsen Sisam/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) vs. Lukas Engelhardt/Jakob Cadonau (OM) 6-6 (5-5), unfinished
Ole Miss 10-9, 7-5 SEC; National ranking #12
Vanderbilt 6-15, 0-12 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,2,5,1,6,3)