NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Vanderbilt found its way into cruise control early Saturday on its way to a 6-1 victory over Illinois State at Currey Tennis Center to improve to 4-0 on the young season.
Vandy’s day started with a dominating doubles performance by Adam Sraberg and Jeremie Casabon with the duo earning a 6-0 win at No. 3. To finish the sweep, Marcus Ferreira and Macsen Sisam put together a 6-3 win at No. 1 and George Harwell paired with Connor Robb-Wilcox at No. 2 to earn a 6-4 victory.
While cruising through doubles, Vanderbilt kept ahold of its momentum and breezed through its top four singles matches winning 36 of 42 games played. First, it was No. 117 Harwell taking a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Nam Pham before Ferreira followed minutes later with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 over Diego Le Gal Perez.
Continuing the dominating trend, Casabon closed out a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 over Pol Botifoll Rius and Sisam made it a 5-0 Vanderbilt lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 3 against Melker Isaksson.
Robb-Wilcox drops a third-set tiebreaker 10-8, but we’re 6-1 winners to start the weekend.
— Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis (@VandyMTennis) February 13, 2021
Earning Vanderbilt’s final point, Joubert Klopper ran away in his second set at No. 5 against Mike Agee to earn a 6-3, 6-1 win. Robb-Wilcox, who was playing in his first dual match Saturday, battled through a back-and-forth match at No. 6 but fell 6-7 (1), 7-5, 1-0 (8) to Diego Emilio Moura Herrera.
The Commodores will turn around quickly this weekend to close out a five-match homestand to start the campaign with a visit from Memphis on Sunday. First serve is set for 1 p.m. and marks the last nonconference match before the start of SEC play Friday when Vanderbilt visits LSU.
1. #117 George Harwell (VANDY) def. Nam Pham (ILS) 6-0, 6-1
2. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. Diego Le Gal Perez (ILS) 6-1, 6-1
3. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Melker Isaksson (ILS) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jeremie Casabon (VANDY) def. Pol Botifoll Rius (ILS) 6-0, 6-1
5. Joubert Klopper (VANDY) def. Mike Agee (ILS) 6-3, 6-1
6. Diego Herrera (ILS) def. Connor Robb-Wilcox (VANDY) 6-7 (1-7), 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Marcus Ferreira/Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Diego Le Gal Perez/Zacharias Rasmusson (ILS) 6-3
2. George Harwell/Connor Robb-Wilcox (VANDY) def. Nam Pham/Ming-Chieh Chiu (ILS) 6-4
3. Jeremie Casabon/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) def. Melker Isaksson/Shu-Lun Chang (ILS) 6-0
Illinois State 1-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)