AUBURN, Ala. – A back and forth doubles point gave way to Auburn putting together a strong singles run on the way to a 6-1 victory over Vanderbilt on Friday afternoon.
The Commodores No. 3 duo of Adam Sraberg and Jeremie Casabon had a 5-4 lead in doubles on Jan Galka and Tyler Stice, but the match went unfinished with the Tigers claiming a 6-3 win at No. 2 and a 6-4 win on No. 1.
In singles, Auburn used its doubles momentum to win all six first sets. Casabon went toe-to-toe with Maxwell Giddens at No. 5, dropping an untimely break to lose the first set 7-5 before breezing through the second 6-0 to force a third-set tiebreaker. He went on to claim Vanderbilt’s point with a 10-7 win to take the match 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (7).
Marcus Ferreira also battled back from a first-set defeat to win a 7-5 tiebreaker in the second set to force a third-set tiebreaker. He couldn’t overcome Tim Dollman, though, in falling 6-3, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (4).
Vanderbilt will next head to Tuscaloosa to visit Alabama on Sunday afternoon. First serve against the Crimson Tide is set for 1 p.m. CT.
1. Tyler Stice (AUBURN) def. #117 George Harwell (VANDY) 6-3, 6-4
2. Tim Dollman (AUBURN) def. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-4)
3. Tad Maclean (AUBURN) def. Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jan Galka (AUBURN) def. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jeremie Casabon (VANDY) def. Maxwell Giddens (AUBURN) 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Finn Murgett (AUBURN) def. Joubert Klopper (VANDY) 6-2, 6-3
1. Tad Maclean/Finn Murgett (AUBURN) def. George Harwell/Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-4
2. Tom Wright/Maxwell Giddens (AUBURN) def. Marcus Ferreira/Macsen Sisam (VANDY) 6-3
3. Jan Galka/Tyler Stice (AUBURN) vs. Jeremie Casabon/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) 4-5, unfinished
Vanderbilt 4-4, 0-3
Auburn 4-6, 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,6,1,5,2) Played indoors
Official: Donna Jerome T-2:35