Norman, Okla. – Vanderbilt men’s tennis returns to Nashville with a victory after defeating Drake University, 4-2, in the final consolation match of the ITA Kick-off.
Battling in close doubles matches, the Commodores saw tough competition, with all three courts advancing into tiebreakers. Earning the Dores’ first victory, junior Billy Rowe and sophomore George Harwell defeated Drake’s MacGeoch/Hands, 7-6 (3).
Clinching the doubles point for the Commodores, junior Panu Virtanen paired with freshman Christiaan Worst to take down Drake duo Phillips/Hall, 7-6 (4).
Looking to clinch the match in singles, the Dores led the Bulldogs on four-of-six courts after completing the first set.
Competing in the second set, freshman Marcus Ferreira scored the Dores’ second point of the match by defeating Drake’s Clark in a straight-set 7-5, 6-0 victory.
The Bulldogs quickly responded to the Dores’ singles point with Tom Hands taking down sophomore George Harwell, 6-3, 6-4, earning Drake their first point of the match.
After winning the first set 7-5, Virtanen advanced the Dores’ lead to 3-1 over Drake by taking down MacGeoch in a straight set, 7-5, 6-3.
Splitting sets with Drake’s Thorold, Vanderbilt sophomore Max Freeman swiftly earned the lead in the match. He dominated the third set, 6-4, to clinch the match for the Commodores, 4-2.
Vanderbilt coach Ian Duvenhage said he is proud of his team’s redemption today after dropping the first match of the ITA Kick-Off to Notre Dame, but he sees room for improvement in his team.
“I’m happy with the way we competed this weekend but we have to execute at a higher level. We did a great job in doubles against Drake and Max Freeman fought through tremendous adversity to clinch the match,” said Duvenhage.
The Dores look to maintain momentum as they travel to Cambridge, Massachusetts on Friday to take on Harvard at 2 p.m. CT.
Keep up with the Commodores as they prepare to take the court against Harvard by following @VandyMTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
Tennis Match Results
Drake vs Vanderbilt
Jan 27, 2019 at Norman, Okla. (Headington Family Tennis Center)
Vanderbilt 4, Drake 2
1. Vinny Gillespie (DU) def. Cameron Klinger (VANDY) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) def. Barny Thorold (DU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. Tom Hands (DU) def. George Harwell (VANDY) 6-3, 6-4
4. #62 Billy Rowe (VANDY) vs. Bayo Philips (DU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (6-8), unfinished
5. Panu Virtanen (VANDY) def. Calum MacGeoch (DU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. Ben Clark (DU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Maxwell Freeman/Cameron Klinger (VANDY) vs. #27 Vinny Gillespie/Barny Thorold (DU) 6-6 (4-6), unfinished 2. Panu Virtanen/Christiaan Worst (VANDY) def. Bayo Philips/Finley Hall (DU) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Billy Rowe/George Harwell (VANDY) def. Calum MacGeoch/Tom Hands (DU) 7-6 (7-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,3,5,1,2)