FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Vanderbilt men’s tennis earned its third SEC victory outplaying Arkansas, 4-3, Friday at the Dills Indoors Courts.
Commanding the lead, the Commodores secured the doubles point over the Razorbacks with veteran Dore duo, Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe defeating Arkansas’ Oscar Mesquida and Adam Sanjurjo, 6-2, marking the Dores first doubles victory.
Clinching the doubles point for the Commodores, sophomore Max Freeman and freshman Macsen Sisam teamed up to take down Arkansas’ Maxim Verboven and Enrique Paya dominating the set tiebreak, 7-6 (5).
Wasting no time in singles play, the Dores quickly took an early 2-1 lead over the Razorbacks with senior Klinger conquering the upset over No. 53 Mesquida in a straight-set, 6-4, 6-4.
Extending the Commodores’ lead to 3-1, Panu Virtanen took down Arkansas’ Jose Alonoso 6-4 in the first set followed by a close 7-5 win in the second set earning the Dores its third match point over the Razorbacks.
With three courts remaining, Rowe stepped up for the Dores prevailing to a victory on Court 4 after splitting sets with Arkansas’ Enrique Paya. Rowe earned a 6-2, 2-6, 6-0 victory over the Razorback to clinch the match for the Commodores.
Remaining courts played out cutting Vanderbilt’s lead to 4-3 marking the final score of the match.
The Commodores continue their road stint March 21 when they take on Florida.
Stay updated with the Dores as they prepare by following @VandyMTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
Vanderbilt 4, Arkansas 3
1. Cameron Klinger (VANDY) def. #53 Oscar Mesquida (AR) 6-4, 6-4
2. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. George Harwell (VANDY) 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (7-3)
3. Alex Reco (AR) def. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) 6-4, 6-1
4. Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Enrique Paya (AR) 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
5. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Panu Virtanen (VANDY) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-4, 7-5
1. Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Oscar Mesquida/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-2
2. Maxwell Freeman/Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Maxim Verboven/Enrique Paya (AR) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Alex Reco/Jose Alonso (AR) def. George Harwell/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,6,4,2,5)