STARKVILLE, Miss. – Vanderbilt men’s tennis suffered a sluggish start to conference play on Friday, falling to No. 8 Mississippi State, 7-0.
The Bulldogs earned a dominant start in doubles with a win over Commodore duo Adam Sraberg and Christiaan Worst, 6-3.
The Dores quickly bounced back earning a 6-4 victory on court 3 by Commodore pair Marcus Ferreira and George Harwell.
However, 11th-ranked Mississippi State pair Nuno Borges and Strahinia Rakic secured the doubles point for the Bulldogs, taking down No. 52 Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe, 6-4.
Mississippi State started strong in singles play by quickly advancing its lead to 2-0 over the Commodores with Klinger falling short to No. 3 Nuno Borges, 6-0, 6-1.
Extending the Commodores’ deficit to 3-0, Rowe fell to Mississippi State’s No. 82 Niclas Braun, 6-2, 6-4.
On court 2, No. 80 Giovanni Oradini defeated sophomore George Harwell in the first set, 6-2. Harwell fought back in the second set to tie it at 6-6. Oradini took down Harwell in the tiebreaker, clinching the match for the Bulldogs, 4-0.
The Dores fell short on all three remaining courts to seal the final score, 7-0, in favor of MSU.
The Dores look to bounce back Sunday when they take on their second SEC opponent of the weekend, Ole Miss.
Follow along with the Commodores in Mississippi by following @VandyMTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
No. 8 Mississippi State 7, No. 27 Vanderbilt 0
1. #11 Nuno Borges/Strahinja Rakic (MSU) def. #52 Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VU) 6-4
2. #6 Niclas Braun/Giovanni Oradini (MSU) def. Adam Sraberg/Christiaan Worst (VU) 6-3
3. Marcus Ferreira/George Harwell (VU) def. Trevor Foshey/Gregor Ramskogler (MSU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. #3 Nuno Borges (MSU) def. Cameron Klinger (VU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #80 Giovanni Oradini (MSU) def. George Harwell (VU) 6-2, 7-6(3)
3. Strahinja Rakic (MSU) def. Macsen Sisam (VU) 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. #82 Niclas Braun (MSU) def. Billy Rowe (VU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Trevor Foshey (MSU) def. Panu Virtanen (VU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0(8)
6. Florian Broska (MSU) def. Marcus Ferreira (VU) 7-6(5), 5-7, 1-0(7)
Order of finish: 1,4,2,3,5,6