NASHVILLE, Tenn. — In the final match before SEC play, Vanderbilt fell for the first time this season to Memphis 4-0 on Sunday at Currey Tennis. Center. The defeat broke a four match winning-streak to start the season.
To start in doubles, Marcus Ferreira and Macsen Sisam battled closely in a 6-4 defeat at No. 2. Jeremie Casabon and Adam Sraberg fell in a 6-2 decision at No. 3 to drop the doubles point to the Tigers with the match on No. 1 going unfinished.
In singles, Memphis quickly took the necessary three singles matches to complete the victory over the Commodores. Harwell and Casabon at Nos. 1 and 5, respectively, held leads with first-set wins but the match ended with both unfinished thanks to Memphis garnering its necessary wins.
Next time out, Vanderbilt will venture into SEC play when it visits LSU on Friday. First serve is set for 5 p.m.
1. No. 117 George Harwell (Vandy) vs. Jan Story (Memphis) 7-6, 5-3, unfinished
2. David Stevenson (Memphis) def. Marcus Ferreira (Vandy) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jan Pallares (Memphis) def. Max Freeman (Vandy) 7-6, 6-1
4. Oscar Cutting (Memphis) def. Macsen Sisam (Vandy) 7-6, 6-2
5. Jeremie Casabon (Vandy) vs. Pau Fanlo (Memphis) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
6. Jeremy Taylor (Memphis) vs. Joubert Klopper (Vandy) 2-1, unfinished
1. Oscar Cutting/David Stevenson (Memphis) def. George Harwell/Max Freeman (Vandy) 5-3, unfinished
2. Jan Pallares/Patrick Sydow (Memphis) def. Marcus Ferreira/Macsen Sisam (Vandy) 6-4
3. James Story/Jeremy Taylor (Memphis) def. Jeremie Casabon/Adam Sraberg (Vandy) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (2, 3, 4)