NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Vanderbilt women’s basketball team is set for a first-round matchup against 11th-seeded Alabama in the 2019 SEC Tournament on Wednesday. The Commodores will play in the day’s second game, which will tip at approximately noon CT. Fans can watch on SEC Network, follow live stats or listen to Charlie Mattos on WNSR 560 AM or 95.9 FM.
- Vanderbilt (7-22, 2-14 SEC) split its two games last week. The squad took down Tennessee in Knoxville, 76-69, on Thursday for the first time in program history, but fell to Florida on Sunday, 78-66.
- The Commodores squared off against Alabama earlier this season on Feb. 21 and fell 84-65.
- Four Dores finished in double-figures in the loss: Brinae Alexander (13), Mariella Fasoula (13), LeaLea Carter (11) and Chelsie Hall(10).
- Alabama forced 15 turnovers and converted them into 20 points in the first meeting. The Crimson Tide also out-rebounded Vanderbilt 37-21.
- Vanderbilt leads the series with Alabama, 34-15, but the Dores are just 2-5 against the Crimson Tide at neutral sites.
- Alabama (13-16, 5-11 SEC) comes into the contest after splitting games last week. The Crimson Tide took down Ole Miss, 46-43, but fell at Missouri, 82-47.
- The squad features three players that average double-digits: Cierra Johnson (14.7), Jordan Lewis (13.5) and Jasmine Walker (12.4).
- Alabama is edging opponents on the glass, averaging 39.4 boards per game while giving up 37.5 rebounds.
- The Crimson Tide are just 1-3 on neutral courts this season.
The opening-round winner will take on No. 6 Auburn at approximately 7 p.m. on Thursday.