FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The Vanderbilt men’s tennis team concluded their season in the opening round of the SEC Tournament Monday, falling to the host Arkansas Razorbacks 4-0.
No. 36 Arkansas (10-13, 4-8) opened play by taking the necessary two doubles matches at Nos. 2 and 3. Action on No. 1 went unfinished as No. 60 George Harwell and Max Freeman were trailing 41st-ranked Enrique Paya and Hunter Harrison by a 5-3 margin.
The hosts stayed hot by taking all but one of the first sets to start singles play. The Commodores (6-16, 0-12) notched their lone set win in the first behind a comeback on No. 1 from 63rd-ranked George Harwell’s 7-5 decision.
Marcus Ferreira held a 5-3 lead in the second set before the match was abandoned.
With the defeat, Vanderbilt’s team season is complete. Select student-athletes will now turn their attention to the NCAA Individual Championships, which will be held at the end of May following the conclusion of the team tournament in Orlando, Florida.
1. Alex Reco (ARK) vs. #63 George Harwell (VU) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
2. Maxim Verboven (ARK) vs. Marcus Ferreira (VU) 6-4, 3-5, unfinished
3. #95 Nico Rousset (ARK) def. #121 Jeremie Casabon (VU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Aleksa Bucan (ARK) def. Max Freeman (VU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Adrien Burdet (ARK) def. Macsen Sisam (VU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Melvin Manuel (ARK) vs. Joubert Klopper (VU) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
1. #41 Enrique Paya/Hunter Harrison (ARK) vs. #60 George Harwell/Max Freeman (VU) 5-3, unfinished
2. Melvin Manuel/Adrien Burdet (ARK) def. Macsen Sisam/Adam Sraberg (VU) 6-2
3. Nico Rousset/Alex Reco (ARK) def. Jeremie Casabon/Connor Robb-Wilcox (VU) 6-4
Arkansas 10-13; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,4,3)