MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Stepping outside of conference play, Vanderbilt fell to No. 34 Middle Tennessee by a 4-3 margin Friday night.
The Blue Raiders (9-3) raced to capture the doubles point with the necessary wins coming at Nos. 1 and 2. Jeremie Casabon and Adam Sraberg held a commanding 5-2 lead at No. 3 before it went unfinished.
Vanderbilt (4-6) took four of six sets to open singles, but Middle Tennessee was the first to strike.
The Blue Raiders claimed the initial two singles points at Nos. 2 and 4 over Marcus Ferreira and Max Freeman, respectively, before Casabon used a quick 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 5 to cut the deficit to 3-1. George Harwell then had his own straight-set win at No. 1 with a 7-5, 6-3 decision to close the gap.
The Commodores will return to action on Sunday when they welcome No. 42 Arkansas to Currey Tennis Center. First serve is slated for noon.
1. George Harwell (VANDY) def. Tom Moonen (MT) 7-5, 6-3
2. Francisco Rocha (MT) def. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) 6-0, 6-3
3. Stijn Slump (MT) def. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Chris Edge (MT) def. Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jeremie Casabon (VANDY) def. Chris Edge (MT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Joubert Klopper (VANDY) def. Pavel Motl (MT) 6-4, 3-6, 3-4, ret.
1. Pavel Motl/Stijn Slump (MT) def. Max Freeman/George Harwell (VANDY) 6-2
2. Tom Moonen/Chris Edge (MT) def. Macsen Sisam/Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) 4-6
3. Jeremie Casabon/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) vs. Max Rauch/Francisco Rocha (MT) 5-2, unfinished
No. 34 Middle Tennessee 9-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2); Singles (4,2,5,1,6,3) T-2:49