NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Pushed early on, Vanderbilt completed a strong comeback against Rice Sunday morning to keep a perfect start to the 2021 campaign intact.
For the first time this season, the Dores (3-0) dropped the doubles point and had to play from behind. The visitors edged Vandy in doubles in the decisive third match, which ended in a tiebreaking loss at No. 3. Vanderbilt’s lone doubles win came from Marcus Ferreira and Macsen Sisam at No. 2 via a 6-4 decision. The No. 1 duo of George Harwell and Max Freeman dropped their match by a 6-3 margin while Jeremie Casabon and Adam Sraberg fell in a 7-6 (3) tiebreaker at No. 3.
Rice raced to win the first singles point to go up 2-0, but Vanderbilt then went on a run to take a 3-2 lead. After three singles wins, Sisam weathered a third-set tiebreaker to clinch the win for Vanderbilt. The Dores rode straight-set wins from Harwell at No. 1 (7-5, 6-2), Ferreira at No. 2 (6-4, 6-4), Casabon at No. 5 (6-2, 6-2) and Klopper at No. 6 (6-1, 6,2). Vanderbilt has won five of six singles in each of its victories thus far.
— Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis (@VandyMTennis) February 7, 2021
Next time out on Saturday, the Commodores will host Illinois State. First serve at Currey Tennis Center is set for 11 a.m.
1. Conrad Russell/Sumit Sarkar (Rice) def. Max Freeman/George Harwell (Vandy) 6-3
2. Marcus Ferreira/Macsen Sisam (Vandy) def. Jacob Eskeland/AJ Valenty (Rice) 6-4
3. Wes Barnett/Trinity Grear (Rice) def. Jeremie Casabon/Adam Sraberg (Vandy) 7-6 (3)
1. #117 George Harwell (Vandy) def. Sumit Sarkar (Rice) 7-5, 6-2
2. Marcus Ferreira (Vandy) def. Jacob Eskeland (Rice) 6-4, 6-4
3. Mohamed Abdel-Aziz (Rice) def. Max Freeman (Vandy) 6-2, 6-0
4. Macsen Sisam (Vandy) def. Campbell Simon (Rice) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (6)
5. Jeremie Casabon (Vandy) def. Wes Barnett (Rice) 6-2, 6-2
6. Joubert Klopper (Vandy) def. Trinity Grear (Rice) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish
1, 2, 3
3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 6