NASHVILLE, Tenn. — No. 16 Mississippi State spoiled the opening match of the last home weekend for the Vanderbilt men’s tennis team Friday afternoon, handing the Commodores a 5-2 loss at Currey Tennis Center.
The Bulldogs (15-7, 5-6 SEC) got the day started by quickly claiming the necessary two doubles matches for the match’s initial point. Mississippi State used identical 6-2 scorelines on Nos. 1 and 2 to quell any hope of a Commodore comeback in doubles. Vanderbilt’s (6-14, 0-11 SEC) duo of Jeremie Casabon and Connor Robb-Wilcox went unfinished at No. 3 in 4-3 deficit.
Macsen Sisam’s straight-set 6-3, 6-2 win got the Dores on the board at No. 5, but unfortunately proved to not enough to stop the ensuing Mississippi State momentum.
The visiting Bulldogs countered with straight-set wins at Nos. 2 and 3 to take back a lead they would not relinquish. Mississippi State then clinched the match at No. 4 with a come-from-behind three-set win.
George Harwell fell short in three at No. 1 following a dramatic break in the second set to force the decisive set.
Joubert Klopper finished the day at No. 6 with a straight-set sweep 7-6, 7-5.
Vanderbilt will close out the regular season on Sunday when it welcomes the 12th-ranked Ole Miss Rebels to the Currey Tennis Center. First serve is set for noon.
1. No. 51 Giovanni Oradini (MSU) def. No. 98 George Harwell (VANDY) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. No. 41 Florian Broska (MSU) def. Jeremie Casabon (VANDY) 6-4, 6-3
3. Alberto Colas (MSU) def. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 71 Nemanja Malesevic (MSU) def. Max Freeman (VANDY) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Carles Hernandez (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Joubert Klopper (VANDY) def. Gregor Ramskogler (MSU) 7-6, 7-5
1. Florian Broska/Gregor Ramskogler (MSU) def. George Harwell/Max Freeman (VANDY) 6-2
2. Davide Tortora/Nemanja Malesevic (MSU) def. Marcus Ferreira/Adam Sraberg (VANDY) 6-2
3. Giovanni Oradini/Nicolas Ocana (MSU) vs. Jeremie Casabon/Connor Robb-Wilcox (VANDY) 4-3, unfinished
Vanderbilt 6-14, 0-11
No. 16 Mississippi State 14-7, 5-6
Order of Finish: (5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 6); (2, 1)