#1 Yanni Wetzell
Class Redshirt Junior
Hometown St. Mary's, Texas
High School St. Mary's
- 6’10 forward who transferred from St. Mary’s University in Texas.
- Named to the All-Heartland Conference Second Team as a sophomore after averaging 15.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
- Played in all 32 games as a junior with the Commodores and made 10 starts.
Redshirt Junior (2018-19):
- Played in all 32 games and made 10 starts as a junior. Averaged 5.9 points and 3.8 rebounds per game.
- Scored in double figures in five games against SEC competition, including 11 points at LSU, and in eight games overall.
- Tied a season-high with 15 points at Texas A&M.
- Grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds vs. Arkansas.
- Had two double-doubles in his first season with the Commodores (Auburn and Texas A&M). Made first start as a Commodore against Tennessee State.
- Tallied season-high 16 points in win over UNC Asheville.
- Grabbed a season-best nine rebounds at Kansas State.
- Scored 12 points and had five rebounds in win over Arizona State.
Redshirt Sophomore (2017-18):
- Sat out the season after transferring from St. Mary’s.
Sophomore at St. Mary’s (2016-17):
- Played and started in all 30 games for St. Mary’s University. Averaged 15.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
- Scored in double figures in last eight games as a sophomore, including a season-high 29-point effort against Newman and a 28-point effort against Panhandle State.
- Scored 20 or more points in six games and posted six double doubles.
Freshman at St. Mary’s (2015-16):
- Played and started in all 29 games for St. Mary’s and averaged 11.7 points and 5.6 rebounds.
- Named Heartland Conference Freshman of the Year.
- Posted four double-doubles on the season and a season-high 24 points against Oklahoma Christian on Jan. 28.
- Starred under head coach Carl Stent at Westlake High School in New Zealand, earning the Most Improved Player as a senior.
- Helped his team to a No. 2 national rank.
- Also lettered in tennis and was tennis captain.
- Also played for the U19 New Zealand National Team, finishing ranked No. 2.
- Yanni Clemens Thomas Wetzell.
- Parents are Clem and Jenny Wetzell.
- Has four sisters, Kylie, Pippa, Anya and Georgia.
- His father Clem played rugby on the collegiate level and his mother Jenny was a surfer.
- Majoring in Economics.
- Advice to youngsters: “If you love something, keep working at it, and don’t quit because you’re not the best.”