No. 10 Vanderbilt Commodores (1-0-0)
Tennessee Volunteers (0-1-0)
Sept. 27, 2020 • 1 p.m. CT
Regal Soccer Stadium • Knoxville, Tenn.
Jonathan Yardley (play-by-play), Angela Hucles (analyst)
• Vanderbilt heads east on I-40 for a matchup against the Tennessee Volunteers on Sunday for a 1 p.m. CT kickoff.
• Under head coach Darren Ambrose, the Dores have won three of five SEC road openers.
• The Commodores have now won their last four home openers and last four SEC openers.
• The Dores are unbeaten in the last six matchups against Tennessee (5 wins, 1 draw) going back to the 2015 season.
• In their last eleven games against Tennessee schools (Chattanooga, Lipscomb, Tennessee and Tennessee Tech), the Dores are 9-1-1.
• Last year on West End, Madiya Harriott scored the game winner on a set piece to win 1-0 in double overtime Sept. 22, 2019.
• Last time in Knoxville, a Haley Hopkins brace was the difference in a 3-1 win for the Dores on Oct. 7, 2018.
• This will be the 29th all-time meeting between Vanderbilt and Tennessee (Vanderbilt leads, 15-9-4).
- First Meeting: 9.1.96 (W, 4-0)
- Last Meeting: 9.22.19 (W, 1-0 [2OT])
- Last Vanderbilt Win: 9.22.19 (1-0 [2OT])
- Last Tennessee Win: 10.6.13 (3-0)
- Last Draw: 9.27.15 (1-1 [2OT])
• Last time out, a Hopkins brace was the difference in a come-from-behind 3-2 win over Kentucky. The victory came after Kentucky scored the first two goals in the opening half to lead by a pair after 45 minutes.
• Against the Wildcats, the Dores didn’t concede a corner and outshot UK 22-9. Half of the 22 shots were on goal, compared to just four for UK.
• In the inaugural 2020 United Soccer Coaches poll, the Commodores come in at No. 10. Last season, Vanderbilt reached as high as No. 9 in the poll.
• Last season, the Commodores won their third SEC East championship, and first since 1997 (the SEC recognized divisional championships from 1995-2012 and reinstated divisional play a season ago).
• Vanderbilt went 4-1-1 against the division in 2019 with the lone loss coming in a 1-0 heartbreaker to Florida and a scoreless draw on the road against No. 7 South Carolina. In the last three seasons, the Dores have won 13 of 18 games against divisional opponents.