Vanderbilt Baseball Weekly Report
Overall Record: 5-1
Streak: Won 3
Last Week’s Results (3-0)
Tuesday, Feb. 20 vs. Evansville – Win, 5-4
Saturday, Feb. 23 vs. Pepperdine – Cancelled
Sunday, Feb. 24 vs. Pepperdine (Game 1) – Win, 6-3
Sunday, Feb. 24 vs. Pepperdine (Game 2) – Win, 6-2
This Week (Times Central)
Tuesday, Feb. 26 vs. SE Missouri State — 4:30 p.m. [SEC Network+]
Wednesday, Feb. 27 vs. Austin Peay — 4:30 p.m. [SEC Network+]
Friday, March 1 vs. Dayton – – 4:30 p.m. [SEC Network+]
Saturday, March 2 vs. Dayton – – 2 p.m. [SEC Network+]
Sunday, March 3 vs. Dayton – – 1 p.m. [SEC Network+]
Player of the Week Nominee
JJ Bleday – RF – 6-3 – 205 – Panama City Beach, Fla.
Weekly totals: 3 G/3 3GS, 9 AB, 2 R, 5 H, 5 BB, 2 RBIs, 6 TB
– Reached base 10 times including eight during Sunday’s doubleheader sweep vs. Pepperdine
– Drew a combined five walks while helping the Commodores go 3-0 on the week
– Drove in two runs and scored as many while posting a team-leading .714 on-base percentage
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Drake Fellows – RHP – 6-5 – 216 – Plainfield, Ill.
Weekly totals: 1 G/1 GS, 1-0, 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
– Tossed six innings, allowing one run while striking out nine Pepperdine batters
– Limited the Waves to a .217 batting average while permitting just one walk
– Spearheaded a Vandy pitching staff that posted a 2.33 ERA in three games
Freshman of the Week Nominee
Kumar Rocker – RHP – 6-4 – 255 – Athens, Ga.
Weekly totals: 1 G/0 GS, 1-0, 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
– Secured his first collegiate win, lifting Vandy to a doubleheader sweep of Pepperdine
– Struck out five Pepperdine batters and limited the Waves to a .182 average in three frames
– Helped the Commodores post a 27-4 strikeout-to-walk ratio in two games vs. Pepperdine
Top-ranked Vanderbilt continued its early-season success, posting a 3-0 week including a doubleheader sweep of Pepperdine on Sunday … The Commodores batted .343 in three games while the pitching staff showcased its depth as nine hurlers registered a 2.33 ERA while limiting opponents to a .216 average … Vanderbilt overcame the elements and 14 stranded runners, hanging on to defeat Evansville, 5-4, from a rain-soaked Hawkins Field in the home opener on Wednesday night … The Commodores received a major boost from nine-hole hitter Jayson Gonzalez (1-for-2) who swatted his sixth career home run and drew a bases-loaded walk … The sophomore was one of eight players to record a hit, propelling Vandy to its fourth straight victory against the Purple Aces … The Commodores defeated the Waves, 6-3, on the back of six scoreless innings from Drake Fellows in the opener … Philip Clarke belted his ninth career home run and Cooper Davis lined a two-run triple into the right field corner as part of a 6-2 victory in the finale … Vanderbilt held Pepperdine to four hits while four pitchers combined to strike out 14. On the day, Commodore pitching posted a 1.50 ERA, limiting the Waves to a .150 average. Vandy posted an impressive 27-4 strikeout-to-walk ratio … Freshman Kumar Rocker tossed three scoreless relief innings while striking out five in relief of senior Patrick Raby … The righty permitted two runs on as many hits in four innings … Tyler Brown and Jake Eder each tossed scoreless innings to close it out … Vandy continues its 15-game homestand this week, playing five games at Hawkins Field including midweeks against Southeast Missouri State and Austin Peay before Dayton comes to town for a three-game series.