|Vanderbilt Commodores (0-0-0) vs. UAB Blazers (0-0-0)|
|Monday, Aug. 8 • 6 p.m.|
|Vanderbilt Soccer/Lacrosse Complex|
At a Glance
- The Commodores boast 19 returners in 2022, including veteran leadership in three graduate students and three seniors. Peyton Cutshall, Raegan Kelley and Ella Shamburger all return for their fifth season in Music City looking to improve on last season’s finish.
- Vanderbilt concluded the 2021 regular season second in the SEC East and an 8-8-3 record.
- The team will host 10 matches this season, including Monday’s exhibition with UAB set for 6 p.m.
- The team also welcomes non-conference foes Western Kentucky, Providence, ETSU and Lipscomb to town before opening conference play in mid-September.
- The SEC teams set to face the Commodores in Nashville this season include LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina and Mississippi State.
Last Time Out
The Commodores saw their 2021 season end in heartbreaking fashion as they lost in the first round of the SEC Tournament on the penalty kick.
Controlling most of the contest, Vanderbilt scored in the 72nd minute to boast a 1-0 lead. They looked to carry that late goal through the final horn but Florida would answer with the equalizer in the 89th minute to knot things up and force overtime, 1-1.
The two squads traded passes in the following overtime sessions but neither side was able to beat the other goalkeeper and a penalty kick ensued.
Three Commodores scored in the shootout but the Gators came out with a 4-3 win in PKs to advance and end the Commodores’ promising season.
Vanderbilt is poised for their first outing of the year, and first of two exhibitions, when they host UAB August 8.
All-time, the Commodores are 11-3-0 against the Blazers.
The two teams last played in 2013 with the Commodores dropping a 3-1 decision.
- The Commodores conclude their exhibition slate with a trip to Alabama on August 13. That match is set to kickoff at 6 p.m.