Vanderbilt Commodores (2-3-0)
No. 15 Georgia Bulldogs (2-1-2)
Oct 25, 2020 • 4 p.m. CT
Vanderbilt Soccer Complex • Nashville, Tenn.
Jon Yardley (play-by-play), Lori Lindsey (analyst)
• Set to take on its first ranked opponent of the 2020 season, Vanderbilt will host the 15th-ranked Georgia Bulldogs at Vanderbilt Soccer Complex Sunday on ESPNU. The game marks Vanderbilt’s breast cancer awareness game with the Commodores wearing pink jerseys this weekend.
• This will be the 27th all-time meeting between Vanderbilt and Georgia (Vanderbilt leads 13-12-1):
- First Meeting: 1995 (W, 3-1)
- Last Meeting: 10.04.19 (W, 1-0)
- Last Vanderbilt Win: 10.04.19 (1-0)
- Last Opponent Win: 10.23.15 (3-1)
- Last Draw: 09.14.13 (0-0)
• In his five-plus seasons, Darren Ambrose owns a 5-1 record against Georgia. Last time Georgia visited West End, Ambrose’s team cruised to a 5-0 win.
• Last time out, Myra Konte scored in the 103rd minute of double overtime Sunday evening to give Vanderbilt a 2-1 victory – its fourth in program history over Florida. The goal was just the second of Konte’s career with the other goal coming against a fellow Florida team: Miami in 2018. Raegan Kelley scored the game-tying goal in the 80th minute to send the game to overtime after Vandy fell behind thanks to a late first-half goal. The win is Vanderbilt’s second straight in Gainesville. In all, Vanderbilt has four victories over Florida with two of them coming in the last three seasons during visits to the Sunshine State. The win snapped Vanderbilt’s three-game losing streak, which was the longest to date under Ambrose.
• Looking at the 2020 season, the opener against Kentucky saw a Haley Hopkins brace make the difference in a come-from-behind 3-2 win over the Wildcats. The victory came after Kentucky scored the first two goals of the game in the opening half to lead by a pair after 45 minutes.
• Across Vanderbilt’s three losses to Tennessee, Missouri and South Carolina, four of the five opponent goals have come from set pieces with Tennessee scoring on a corner kick, Missouri tallying twice from the direct result of free kicks and South Carolina winning it on the PK.
• Now in his sixth season leading Vanderbilt soccer, Darren Ambrose has guided one of the best five-year runs in program history. The Dores have amassed a 63-36-10 record and 31-19-7 SEC mark during his tenure. Ten of those wins were over ranked opponents. Vanderbilt has three appearances in the NCAA Tournament, an SEC regular season championship and an East Division championship under his leadership. Ambrose is the first Vanderbilt head coach in 21 years to have three consecutive double-digit win seasons (2017-19).
• All five of Vanderbilt’s games thus far in 2020 have been decided in the second half or later and have been one-goal games. All three of Vanderbilt’s goals against Kentucky in the season opener came after the 53rd minute with the first two separated by just 6:11 of game action. Last season, nine of the 14 wins were decided after halftime, and five of those wins were away from West End.