Vanderbilt Commodores (1-0)
Lipscomb Bisons & Rice Owls
LU: Feb. 6, 2021 • 9 a.m. CT | Rice: Feb. 7, 2021 • 10:30 a.m. CT
In The Swing of Things
- After a successful debut last weekend, Vanderbilt will host a pair of matches this weekend against Lipscomb and Rice.
- Due to COVID-19 protocols and social distancing guidelines, fans are not permitted to attend matches at Currey Tennis Center this weekend.
- Fans can follow the match via live stream, live scoring or on Twitter by following @VandyMTennis.
Climbing the Ladder
- Now in his 16th season as head coach of the Commodores, Ian Duvenhage is one win away from 200 at Vanderbilt.
- Across his career with the Miami women, Florida men and Vanderbilt men, Duvenhage has amassed a career mark of 551-348 in 35 years as a head coach.
- To start the season, George Harwell is ranked No. 117 in the nation in the first Oracle/ITA rankings of the campaign.
- The Commodores welcomed Harwell, Max Freeman and Adam Sraberg back for their senior campaigns in 2021. Freeman and Harwell have been staples in the line for the program the last three years and the trio will help tutor newcomers Connor Robb-Wilcox and Jeremie Casabon.
- Vanderbilt also brings back juniors Macsen Sisam and Marcus Ferreira to go with sophomores Joubert Klopper and James Ignatowich.
- In its opener, Vanderbilt swept doubles play before cruising to a 6-1 victory over Belmont last Sunday.
- Casabon earned his first dual-match singles win with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 victory at No. 5. Additionally, Harwell, Ferreira and Klopper earned straight-set singles wins in the triumph.
A Look Back at 2020
- A season ago, Vanderbilt posted a 7-6 record through 13 matches before the season was canceled due to COVID-19.
- Harwell led the way with a 10-3 dual-match singles record, including eight wins at No. 1.
- The Commodores went 5-2 at home a season ago with the only defeats a 4-2 loss to No. 21 Florida State and a conference defeat against Texas A&M.
On The Radar
- The Commodores will continue a season-opening homestand with a pair of matches against Illinois State on Feb. 13 and Memphis on Feb. 14. Play against the Redbirds will start at 11 a.m. with action against Memphis slated for 1 p.m.